American Biological Safety Association: www.absa.org
- The Biosafety Links page has very helpful references.
- STARlite = Safe Techniques Advance Research Laboratory Interactive Training Environment
- An interactive, video-game based laboratory safety training tool specifically targeted to students and developed by the NIH Division of Occupational Health and Safety with support from the Elizabeth R. Griffin Research Foundation.
NIH Division of Occupational Health and Safety Training Videos:
- Autoclave Safety Video
- Chemical Fume Hood Safety video
- These videos are available in several of the UN languages and is a result of a collaboration between the NIH, Dartmouth University, and the National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program. There are plans to add additional safety training videos to this collection.
CDCs Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 5th Edition
- This is the “bible” of biosafety and contains very useful, if somewhat technical, biosafety information.
- download pdf
- OBA publishes the NIH Recombinant DNA Guidelines, a highly technical regulatory document. However, there are some potentially useful tables and FAQs under the Recombinant DNA FAQ and Educational Materials sections.
Health Canada Infectious Agent Pathogen Safety Data Sheets
- Infectious agent MSDS statements assembled by Health Canada. There are many agents listed here both exotic and more common.
There are many potentially useful safety resources out there for amateurs, even an iPhone app for checking the compatibility of chemicals. If you know of a useful resource that you would like to share or write a brief review about, please send an email to jason AT diybio.org