The global mailing list where everything diybio is discussed:
10 most recent discussion topics:
- Anti-Tick Bio-Weapon?I was reading this article discussing how this year is expected to have above average numbers of ticks with associated Lyme infections. It got me wondering if there is any basis for a virus or bacterial infection
- Why are PCR machines and biotech equipment in general so expensiveHow do the economics work out and why have we not seen bigger companies bring down the process in the advent of open source equipment as well as new startups building low-cost equipment?
- Glowing plant project failshttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonyevans/glowing-plants-natural-lighting-with-no-electricit/posts I think we all saw this coming.
- cheap, deep and big flow bench in northern CaliforniaSaw this at same seller of an electronics instrument I was looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/R131581-Baker-SterilGARD-4Ft-Biological-Safety-Cabinet-VBM400-/391561412733 $300/ make offer... U-haul...
- Agarose gel electrophoresis - easier way to makeHi Folks, posted a you tube on a simpler construction for an agarose gel electrophoresis set up that is simplr and chaper to make then my previous DIY effort. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPqADxHMY-I Abizar
- Cheap capillary electrophoresisHi to all. I shared this with my local group (DIYPerthBioHackers), but I thought it might be of more general interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwYqz_R9n8&feature=youtu.be I'm a protein man myself, with relatively little interest in that other conformationally boring thing, whose
- Open call for Guerilla Science ArtSci ResidencyHi Everyone! I'd like to share out an opportunity to apply for an NSF-funded project we're working on to create installations and events for adult STEM outreach. We're also documenting the full process to write a guide for other cultural institutions who'd like to put them on as well. The is a
- DNA Synthesis pooling 7-9 US cents a baseHi everyone! We plan on ordering from Twist Biosciences again. Best price on the market atm. Fragment size maximum: 1800 bp ; minimum 130 bp in a vector: 9 cents per base - sequence perfect as a fragment: (99,9xxx% of the fragments will be correct) 7 cents per base. Anyone wants to jump
- Culturing antibiotic resistant bacteria on regular media?I have a very basic question as a beginning bio student: What would happen if you sub-cultured something like E. coli with a ampicillin resistant plasmid that's currently growing on amp LB onto plain LB? My hypothesis based on my limited experience is that assuming no contamination, it will grow
- Will gloves from sandbox cabinet fit to the biosafety class III box?I've got some parts from old class III biosafety box and want to re-construct it (why not?), so I wonder if sandbox gloves can be used there. Gloves like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandblasting-protective-gloves-emperor-Mediumweight-ME-107-Industrial-gloves-/152394504337?var=&hash=item237b6b9